Women often appreciate how water can soothe the aches and pains of pregnancy. Many women naturally seek the benefits of water during labor and birth. The last few decades have seen the popularity of waterbirth soar.
Every year, a significant number of women are drawn to water for their birth process. Some women become attached to the idea of birthing their babies underwater. Others spend time in the water during contractions and choose to give birth out of the tub.
Water birth has many benefits:
- Relaxation: Water has a relaxing effect, which can lead to a smoother, easier, faster labor. Deep relaxation helps labor progress and increases the efficacy of contractions.
- Decreased pain sensation: Comfort increases endorphin production (the body’s natural pain killers) and decreases the secretion of stress-related hormones.
- Comfort and Mobility: In water the mother can move spontaneously, changing position as she assists the descent of the baby.
- Endurance and energy: Immersion reduces gravity. Water supports the mother's weight allowing her to focus her energy on the contractions.
- Increased oxygenation: Buoyancy promotes blood circulation and reduces pressure on the abdomen, resulting in increased oxygenation of the uterus and placenta, and more oxygen for the baby.
- Decreased risk of perineal injuries: Water relaxes the muscles in the pelvic floor, supports blood flow, softens the tissues and helps them stretch gradually.
- Partner participation: Because the mother's pain and stress is so greatly reduced, it’s often easier for partners to participate in the birthing process.
- Gentle Transition: Waterbirth allows a gentle transition for baby. When babies are born into water along the way they move from one fluid environment into another.
Don’t have a huge tub or spa at home? Don’t worry, we have two Aqua doula birth tubs available for rent.